We are currently accepting applications for Maintenance Coordinator/Full Time Staff
AMS is a staff-run school, without a director or headmaster This mean all the work of the school including janitorial, maintenance, administrative and financial management, is shared by the staff. Individuals interested in joining our community and working here should be willing to work within the following structures:
- consensus decision-making
- non-violent resolution of conflict
- simple living
- family style living with adolescents
- equal modest salary for all staff members, regardless of experience or amount of time employed
- intense work schedules usually working sixty or more hours per week
- frequent switching of professional responsibilities throughout the day and also from year to year
- extensive work periods with minimal breaks punctuated by extended time off
Working at AMS also has several benefits:
- housing throughout the entire year
- partial board, including all utilities
- excellent health coverage
- access to community resources and studio spaces
- use of the school’s 100 acres of farm and wilderness
- proximity to Appalachian Mountains
New staff are usually hired as houseparents/teachers.
If you are interested in applying for 2019-20 school year or want to learn more about the position, please send a resume, cover letter, and three references to email@example.com.
Internship in Alternative Education
Each year we offer teaching internships. Interns may take on a wide range of responsibilities, depending on their skills and experience. Work opportunities include:
- house parenting with other staff members
- teaching electives
- leading trips
- working in the garden
- performing maintenance
- planning special events
- being academic or personal advisors.
Interns may live in boarding houses as an assistant houseparent or in one of our “down-at-school” houses. All interns are expected to work 40 to 50 hours each week, depending on the position and the individual. Room, board and a modest stipend are provided. Click here for an in-depth description of the position.